Newspost # 10
Oh, it’s been a while since I updated you on stuff, hasn’t it? Too long I think, so I’ll try and do better job of things in future. Slackness is ever with me, raiding my fridge, messing up my DVD collection, forgetting to pay its half of the bills… So here goes a catchup. First few items are about the past, later ones about forthcoming events. Sure you’ll work it all out.
- Vampsov 38, my forthcoming novel, is proceeding through its edit. The first chapter has been done and the editor seems happy. Hope to plough on and get things done. I have an author page on facebook now (not that there’s much to say at the minute, but if you want to get in at the ground floor, so to speak…)
- I have a story coming up in a forthcoming anthology. All a bit hush-hush at the mo, which is a bit paradoxical, but heigh-ho.
- Phoenix writers is growing in numbers and scope. Already have 20 members on the E-mail list and have started work on getting a website, critique guidelines etc together. Excitig times.
- Still on Phoenix writers, Leah and Maria both completed Nanowrimo and Mary Essinger was featured on Radio 4s Womans Hour (talking about her non-fiction book ‘How to be a merry widow’). Leah also had some exciting news which might involve the future purchase of a double pushchair. Congratulations!
- Guillermo Sheridan, the Mexican author shared a comment on Floppybootstomp. Woohoo! So loved his book El Dedo de Oro, so happy he stopped by.
- The Brightside Cabaret is a new (to me) spoken word event gracing the fair city of Leicester. Must go and see them sometime. Shortfuse, as per usual, continues apace.
- My campaign to bring SF/Fantasy/Horror conferences to Leicester has worked! I am therefore solely responsible for the bringing of Alt.Fiction (April 14-15th) to the Phoenix and the Discover Festival (May 18th – 20th ) being brought to Coalville. In an act of magnanimous humility, I will be reading a short piece on the open mic at Alt.Fiction (seriously, thanks Adele Wearing for the opportunity!).
- March 17th also sees the now regular States of Independence small press bookfair taking place at De Montfort University. I’ll be going to catch up with friends and browse the bookstands. Always an enjoyable event. And on St Patrick’s day too.
- One of my fellow Speculators (Leicester’s foremost and only SF/Fantasy/Spec Fic writers group), has bagged themselves a top London Agent. Can’t say any more right now but it is thoroughly deserved as X’s writing is superb.
And that’s all for now. I leave you with a Carrotnapper short play, currently in play on a number of radio stations… enjoy.
Posted on February 12, 2012, in NEWS POSTS and tagged Alt.Fiction, Carrotnapper Productions, Discovery Festival, shortfuse, States of Independence, The Brightside Cabaret, The Phoenix Writers. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.