Top 100 sixties (Again…)
Blimey! These ‘top 100’ things get harder as you go along. I don’t think I’ll bother the 60s again for a while now. To be fair, about 70-80 of the tunes on here have been favourites of mine for a while now. The other 20 or so I had to research. Not unpleasant work, but I kept finding better and better stuff (and unearthing old faves I’d forgotten about) as I went. Choosing what to leave out was stressful and I don’t think I made as good a choice as I might have in optimum circumstances (i.e. with my vinyl collection in front of me and out of storage). Anyway, enjoy it, dudes.
Great high-energy rock-n-roll by the best band ever from Washington state. OK, so they rhyme ‘I want to be her fella’ with ‘Cinderella’, but I see that as charming rather than deliberately dumb.
Fresh out of jail for marrying a 14 year-old girl, Chuck Berry relaunched his career in the early 60s. He’d lost none of his edge, his songs will outlive the solar system, he’s still touring after all these years.
A song that expresses the frustration of wanting to get absolutely blotto when all your friends want to do is stay sober and do civilised things like listen to experimental Jazz and talk about poetry. As far as I know, it is a largely unexplored area of human psychology. Good on the ‘prunes for spotting it.
What a star! A 16 year-old girl writing amazing songs and singing like she does. And a song with a point too. It’s good to see talent flourish like this.
Motown, Motown, Motown, Motown. Four of the reasons why this song is so great.
Little Richard turned up to 11 with speed for hemoglobin. Named after a horrible district of LA, the city of angels, where said divine beings carry pepper spray and wear stab vests.
Sid Barrett’s ‘Floyd were amazing. Here we have one of their signature tracks. Love it to bits.
A Burt Bacharach classic rendered cool and menacing by Arthur Lee’s Love. Listen to that base, that angry/psycho edge to the lyrics…
Very Californian this top 10 isn’t it? Oh, well. What can you do? The Byrds were just such a great band and any of their tracks would do me. That this one features on Easy Rider and talks about cascading jeweled waters reflecting err.. something or other gives it enough depth and transcendent meaning for my tiny mind.
A sweaty, hoary old dance number worthy of Bo Diddley or The Pretty Things. Pure quality from a band I’d never heard of (and which 99% of the world’s population haven’t either). Hope they never turn it into the soundtrack for a car ad.
17. Blue Cheer – Peace of Mind
19. Johnny Cash – Folsom Prison Blues
21. H.P. Lovecraft – That’s The Bag I’m In
22. Zen – Please Accept My Invitation
23. The Monkees – I’m A Believer
24. The Crossfires – One Potato, Two Potato
25. The Flies – Gently As You Feel
27. Can – The Thief
28. The Misunderstood – Children Of The Sun
30. The Painted Ship – Frustration
31. The Vejetables – Good Things Are Happening
32. The Orchids – Gonna Make Him Mine
33. The Standells – Mr Nobody
35. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – Tracks Of My Tears
36. The Sorrows – Take A Heart
39. Zachary Thacks – Bad Girl
40. Martha & The Vandellas – Jimmy Mack
41. The Hombres – Let It All Hang Out
42. The Who – Pinball Wizard
43. Donovan – Catch The Wind
45. The Equals – I Won’t Be There
46. Shandells Inc. – Just Cry
47. Joni Mitchell – The Song About The Midway
48. Bob Dylan – Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat
49. The Kinks – All Day And All Of The Night
52. Peter & Gordon – 500 Miles
53. The Moontrekkers – Night Of The Vampire
54. It’s All Meat – Feel It
56. The Rolling Stones – Paint It Black
57. Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – Little Demon
58. The Beatles – Lovely Rita Meter Maid
61. The Shadows – Apache
62. The Tremeloes – Even The Bad Times Are Good
64. Jean Pierre Mirouze – Sexopolis
65. Ultimate Spinach – Visions Of Your Reality
67. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – All Along The Watchtower
68. Status Quo – Ice In The Sun
69. The Hands Of Time – I Like The Way You Freakout
71. Ola Und The Janglers – No No No
72. Francoise Hardy – Tous Les Garcons Et Les Filles
74. The Small Faces – You Better Believe It
75. Herman’s Hermits – I’m Into Something Good
77. The Pretty Things – Rosalyn
79. The Yardbirds – Train Kept A Rollin’
80. Wimple Winch – Atmosphere
82. Buffy Sainte-Marie – Universal Soldier
84. Spooky Tooth – Tobacco Road
90. Ronnie Dio & The Prophets – Love Potion No. 9
92. Them – All For Myself
93. Joan Baez – El Preso Numero Nueve
94. Traffic – Hole In My Shoe
95. The Creation – Painter Man
96. The Cats’ Meow – Home Of Kicks
97. Lefty Frizzell – Saginaw, Michigan
100. Stix & Stones – You’re Bad News